OGC Testbed 15
Testbed-15 aimed to explore new levels of interoperable geospatial data processing with a focus on data-centric security, federated clouds, service & application discovery, portrayal, machine learning, and delta updates.
A sampling of client demonstrations can be found on the Testbed-15 YouTube Playlist.
Background and Sponsors
The OGC Innovation Program provides a venue for using initiatives to advance solutions to data challenges through using open standards. Testbeds are OGC's largest initiatives. In addition to creating new standards, testbeds provide a unique platform where sponsors can support the rapid generation of prototypes and test environments with a number of leading organizations in the field.
Over the course of past initiatives, OGC has helped develop new standards and architectures that have transformed how we share and use geospatial information, from advancing sharing of digital maps over the web (e.g. WMS) to new encodings (e.g. GeoPackage) that are empowering mobile users with powerful geospatial tools.
The Testbed-15 initiative provides a business opportunity for stakeholders to mutually define, refine, and evolve service interfaces and protocols in the context of hands-on experience and feedback. The outcomes are expected to shape the future of geospatial software development and data publication. Testbed Sponsors are supporting this vision with cost-sharing funds to partially offset the costs associated with development, engineering, and demonstration of these outcomes. This offers selected Participants a unique opportunity to recoup a portion of their initiative expenses.
Among the organizations providing Testbed-15 sponsorship are the following OGC members:
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl).
- European Space Agency (ESA).
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan).
- US Geological Survey (USGS).
- US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
High-Level Testbed-15 Schedule
The Kickoff Workshop was held 2-4 April at the US Geological Survey National Center in Reston, Virginia. Additional schedule milestones appear below.
CFP Quick Links
Here are several links from the CFP:
- The detailed schedule is available in the CFP Master Schedule.
- The Technical Deliverables open for bidding are summarized under the CFP Deliverables Summary.
- Deliverable details can be found in the Appendix B Technical Architecture.
- New to OGC? Consider reviewing the Tips for New Bidders first.
- Here is a PDF version of the CFP (https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=82440).
Anybody wishing to learn more about this initiative, or about the OGC Interoperability Program in general, can contact Scott Serich, Director Innovation Programs at techdesk [at] opengeospatial.org or visit the OGC Innnovation Program page.