The Testbed-16 Call for Sponsors has been issued. Anybody wishing to learn more about this initiative, or about the OGC Interoperability Program in general, can direct inquiries to techdesk [at] opengeospatial.org or visit the OGC Innovation Program page. Additional information is provided below.
OGC member representatives wishing to become Observers may join the Portal Project by clicking through the Testbed-16 Observer Agreement.
Testbed-16 Background Information
Testbeds are OGC's largest interoperability initiatives, typically receiving several million dollars of sponsorship and in-kind contributions. Testbeds are part of OGC’s Innovation Program, which provides a venue to advance standards-based solutions for modeling, finding, accessing, analyzing, and visualizing location-related data.
OGC Testbeds provide a unique platform where sponsors work closely with technology providers to rapidly generate prototypes and test environments that address mission-critical geospatial information integration and interoperability requirements. Testbeds result in more than just requirements for new and updated standards: outcomes also include guides, overviews, and best practices for solving critical interoperability problems affecting location-based technologies.
Based on technology trends, and building on the work from previous Testbeds, below are some preliminary areas that Testbed 16 may examine:
- Big Data Analytics
- Distributed Ledger Technologies, including Blockchain
- OGC Web API Interfaces
- OGC GeoPackage
- Workflows on Hybrid Cloud Environments
- Application Containers, such as Docker
- GeoSemantics and Linked Data
- Tiled Feature Data, including Vector Tiles
- Smart Cities
- OGC MapML Specification
- Discrete Global Grid System (DGGS)
- Data Cubes
- Unmanned Systems
More areas of interest can be found at the OGC ideas repository on GitHub.
Sponsoring a Testbed has great benefits:.
- Sponsors advance solutions that can provide global benefit, such as the use of OGC standards in disaster management and response;
- Sponsors influence the technology, advancing standards and tools that will be available worldwide;
- Sponsors will get early insight into a particular technology or solution from a team of experts; and
- Sponsors, as a pool, come together and can fund a more robust prototype (e.g. more servers and clients) while complementing their requirements with other sponsor's requirements.
A high-levele overview of the Testbed-16 schedule is presented below.