Innovation Day at 2017 World Bank Land and Poverty Conference
Innovation day at the 2017 Land and Poverty Conference
World Bank Head Quarters, Washington DC,
March 23, 2017
Innovative approaches to securing land rights and improving land management
Geospatial Data and Technology Lightning Talks and Demonstrations
Call for Submissions
Rapid advances in processing capacities, improved access to cloud computing, dramatic increases in the availability of earth observation data, and improved connectivity offer enormous opportunities for innovative approaches to securing land rights and improving land management using incremental and fit for purpose options. Developing country policy makers have often limited awareness of these possibilities and, as a consequence, may implement solutions that are no longer state of the art, preventing them from reaping potentially vast digital dividends and building local capacity in this critical area.
The presence of policy makers from more than 120 countries at the Annual World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty offers an outstanding opportunity to improve awareness of innovative solutions among developing country decision-makers. To harness this opportunity, the conference is this year partnering with the Open Geospatial Consortium to include an ‘Innovation Day’ that combines lightning talks presenting use cases in the morning and hands-on demonstrations in the afternoon.
Topics to be covered include but are not limited to innovative ways of acquiring, computing, maintaining, analyzing and publishing data for applications such as:
- Mapping spatial features, land use monitoring and predication (e.g. disaster risk)
- Dynamic poverty mapping, urban development
- Cadastral mapping; community land mapping; secure land transactions (e.g. block chains)
- Tax maps, valuation
- Accountability; real time monitoring, and overcoming data gaps
- Morning: 8.30-12.30PM - Thematic blocks of lightning talks followed by Q&A.
- Afternoon: 8.30 to 3.30 PM – Innovative demonstrations of products and services in an informal setting. Tables & wifi connection will be available (bring own laptop)
- Closing: 4 PM - Announcement of best innovation during the conference closing session, based on attendee rating of speakers & demonstrations
- When & where: Thursday March 23, 2017 at World Bank HQ, 1818 h street NW, Washington DC
- Costs: standard conference registration fee.
- Submission proposal: online via Conftool (Please view guidelines on how to create a new user account and submit an abstract – similar procedures as for lighting talks).
- First round: by December 1, 2016 (Notification acceptance Dec. 8); selected participants can take advantage of early bird registration and will have secured a place:
- Second & final round: by February 1, 2017 (Notification acceptance February 8, 2017)