The Geo4NIEM Project has been organized to address specific functional requirements to meet the following objectives:
- Develop recommendations for the inclusion and standard use of embedded GML with NIEM IEPDs.
- Develop recommendations for the standardize use of Naming and Design Rules and the use of adaptors (e.g. NIEM wrapper for GML)
- Test and demonstrate use of a standardized embedded GML and adaptors within NIEM IEPDs.
- Develop Architecture documentation and fact sheet for the use of embedded GML and adaptors for use with NIEM IEPDs
- Develop Recommendations for the inclusion of a Geospatial Domain within NIEM
The Geo4NIEM initiative aims to address important Information Exchange requirements leading to development of recommendations to enhance the geospatial capabilities within the National Information Exchange Model (NIEM). Sponsors have identified specific Information Exchange Packages (IEPs) from Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Justice/Law Enforcement domain and Maritime domain as representative examples for investigation in this initiative. The focus of efforts will be to address requirements in the context of the following information exchange domain areas:
Justice/Law Enforcement. The Justice/Law Enforcement domain in NIEM is defined by the Global Justice XML Data Model (Global JXDM). The Global Justice XML Data Model (Global JXDM), created in March 2001, evolved from a reconciliation of data definitions into an XML-based framework that would enable the entire justice and public safety communities to effectively share information at all levels. In 2005, GJXDM 3.0.3 became the first domain in NIEM. The Justice domain continues to provide the criminal justice system with the data elements, objects, and properties it needs to share critical information between jurisdictions and levels of government.
Maritime Domain Awareness. The Maritime domain supports the effective understanding of anything associated with global maritime that could impact the United States' security, safety, economy, or environment. NIEM facilitates this understanding through effective, timely sharing of vital, secure information among many key partners by representing vessels, people, cargo, and maritime locations and activities.
Geo4NIEM initiative Sponsors are:
- Program Manager – Information Sharing Environment (PM-ISE)
- National Information Exchange Model – Program Management Office (NIEM PMO)