- OGC® Standards
- OGC Standards List
- Specification Profiles
- Abstract Specification
- OGC Reference Model
- OGC Schema Updates
- Public Engineering Reports
- TC Policy Directives
- GeoDRM Reference Model
- Best Practices
- Discussion Papers
- Deprecated Documents
- Retired Documents
- Requests (RFP's, RFQ's...)
- White Papers
- Change Requests
- Submit Change Request or Requirement
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) Request For Quotation and Call For Participation
RFQ Issuance Date: 22 November 2010
OWS-8 Bidder's Conference: 6
December 2010, 10:00-11:30am US EST
Proposal Due Date: 14 January 2011, 5:00 p.m. EST.
OGC members who wish to observe OWS-8 may do so upon submission of the OGC Observer Agreement: http://bit.ly/aTGi8T
OWS testbeds are part of OGC's Interoperability Program, a global, hands-on and collaborative prototyping program designed to rapidly develop, test and deliver proven candidate specifications into OGC's Specification Program, where they are formalized for public release. In OGC's Interoperability Initiatives, international teams of technology providers work together to solve specific geoprocessing interoperability problems posed by the Initiative's sponsoring organizations. OGC Interoperability Initiatives include test beds, pilot projects, interoperability experiments and interoperability support services - all designed to encourage rapid development, testing, validation and adoption of OGC standards.
The OWS-8 sponsors are organizations seeking open standards for their interoperability requirements. After analyzing their requirements, the OGC Interoperability Team recommend to the sponsors that the content of the OWS-8 initiative be organized around the following threads:
- Observation Fusion
- Geosynchronization (Gsync)
- Cross-Community Interoperability (CCI)
- U.S. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA)
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- U.S. Army Geospatial Center (AGC)
- U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- European Space Agency (ESA)
- U.K. Defence, Science and Technology Laboratary (DSTL)
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
In July 2010, the OGC issued a call for sponsors for the OWS-8 interoperability initiative to advance OGC's open framework for interoperability in the geospatial industry. Two meetings were conducted with potential OWS-8 sponsors to review the OGC technical baseline, discuss OWS-7 results, and identify new requirements to be addressed in OWS-8. The following organization and scope of activity threads resulted from consolidation of all sponsors’ requirements:
- Observation Fusion
- WCS 2.0 Earth Observation Application Profile, WCPS, Compliance Test Scripts
- Detection, tracking, and bookmarking of moving objects in video, implemented using SWE and other OGC encodings and interfaces.
- Geodata Bulk Transfer: The ability to distribute individual data sets and/or collections of data sets in a consistent manner offline and over networks.
- Geosynchronization: Web services and client components to support synchronization and updates of geospatial data across a hierarchical Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI).
- Advancement of semantic mediation approaches to query and use data based on different heterogeneous data models, which are available via OGC WFS.
- Advancement of the use of style registries and styling services.
- Advancement of the use of KML.
- Advancement of the use of UML/OCL for Schema Automation on Domain Models.
- AIXM: Maturing the delivery, filtering and update of AIXM 5.1 using WFS-T/FE 2.0; continuing the development of reusable tools, benchmarking of compression techniques for enhanced performance, advancing styling and portrayal support, and validating the emerging metadata and GML profiles.
- Event Notification Architecture: including Digital NOTAM Events.
- WXXM and weather information: using coverages for encoding representative weather forecast and radar datasets, supporting on-demand Coordinate Reference System (CRS) specifications/transformations, exploring alternative distributed architectures for managing Units of Measure (UoM), demonstrating the applications of probabilistic Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAF) decision making applications, and reviewing/validating the WXXM schemas.
Schedule of Events and Milestones
- Request for Quotation / Call for Participation (RFQ/CFP): 22 November 2010
- Bidders Conference (Q&A with WebEx): 6 December 2010. Go to the WebEx calendar here: http://opengeospatial.webex.com/ and look for the OWS8 Bidders event.
- Last date for submitting questions or changes to the RFQ: 15 December 2010
- Proposals due: 14 January 2011
- Participant selections completed: 28 January 2011
- OWS-8 Kickoff (3-day workshop in DC area, attendance required): 9-11 March 2011
- OWS-8 Completion (final reports due): 30 September 2011
Live demonstrations of OWS-8 results will be conducted at the September 2011 OGC Technical Committee meeting in Boulder, Colorado USA
Demonstration videos of the testbed results will be posted for public viewing within 30 days of testbed completion.
For those who have done this before: Please do not reuse old templates, but use our new ones. Thanks!
Click a link to download the .zip archive:
DOWNLOAD COMPLETE PACKAGE
Complete OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ (pdf zip format)
Complete OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ (doc zip format)
OR INDIVIDUAL FILES
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Main Body (pdf)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Main Body (doc)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex A (pdf)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex A (doc)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex B (pdf)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex B (doc)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex C (pdf)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex C (doc)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex D (pdf)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Annex D (doc)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Template - Funding (xls)
OGC Web Services, Phase 8 (OWS-8) RFQ Template - Proposal (doc)
A Bidder's Conference (webinar) was held Monday 6 December 201010:00-11:30am US EST to discuss all communications received since the RFQ release. You can download and view the “OWS8 Bidders Conference” video.
Q&A, updates, and other information about OWS-8 from the Bidder’s
Conference and other communications will be collected into a
Clarifications document, and posted here for public access.
Subsequent questions may be directed by email to
techdesk [at] opengeospatial [dot] org (techdesk [at] opengeospatial [dot] org) until
15 December 2010.
After this date, no further questions or clarifications will be
Clarifications Document is here: