OGC Testbed 13
The OGC Testbed-13 Demonstration Event will take place at the USGS facilities in Reston, VA, on December 12-13, 2017. At the event, you have the chance to learn everything about Testbed-13. Please find the agenda now online. Anyone interested in attending is strongly urged to pre-register.
The OGC Testbed 13 Innovation Program (IP) initiative commenced with the elicitation of Sponsor requirements in 2016 and early 2017. The following OGC member organizations are providing testbed sponsorship:
- Airbus Defence and Space
- CGI IT UK Limited / European Space Agency (ESA)
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratories (Dstl)
- DigitalGlobe, Inc. (DG)
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) System Wide Information Management (SWIM) Program
- Natural Resources Canada
- Ordnance Survey Great Britain
- US Geological Survey (USGS)
- US National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA)
- US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
Working closely with these Sponsors, OGC issued a public Call for Participation (CFP) on January 25. The CFP included a Testbed 13 Architecture that addressed and integrated all Sponsor requirements. A Clarifications Document provided authoritative updates, including a full, January 31 refresh of the base CFP document and ongoing Q&A.
A separate solicitation titled Part 2 ITT (ESA Sponsored Thematic Exploitation Platform) was issued under the ESA sponsorship and managed by CGI. Participants selected under this solicitation were integrated into the larger set of testbed Participants and are managed under the IP Policies and Procedures during testbed execution. Links providing additional details regarding the Part 2 ITT solicitation can be found at the CFP page.
Thirty-one OGC member organizations were selected as Participants to deliver technical work products. A Kickoff Workshop event was held 4-6 April 2017 at U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The meeting agenda can be found here.
Testbed 13 Threads
Testbed 13 is organized into threads, which integrate both architectural and thematic views and allow grouping of closely related work items & reduction of cross-thread dependencies.
- Cross Community Interoperability (CCI)
- Dynamic Source Integration (DSI)
- Earth Observation Clouds (EOC)
- Streaming & 3D Data (S3D)
- Compliance Testing (COT)
Testbed 13 Schedule
A copy of the remainder of the testbed schedule appears below. This schedule is subject to change.
- 25 January: CFP Issuance
- 20 February: CFP Responses Due
- 15 March: Data & Services RFI Responses Due
- 4-6 April: Kickoff Workshop
- April-November: Testbed execution
- 16 November: 3-Week Rule for ERs to be voted on at December TC Meeting
- Week of December 4: OGC Southampton TC Meeting (some ER presentations to Working Groups)
- December 12-13 (Tu-Wed): Demonstration Event at USGS
Two process innovations were adopted for Testbed 13, a new Engineering Report (ER) Process in which Participants more actively involve selected OGC working groups (SWGs and DWGs) in the development and review of ER content, and a new Participant reporting procedure that leverages the OGC Portal to provide monthly technical status updates.
Testbed 13 Value
This leading-edge technology work has enourmous potential for testbed stakeholders - both technology users and technology providers. Shared investment in spatial standards brings improved sharing and integration of spatial information, which has widespread and longstanding benefit for sponsors and for society at large. Technology providers gain market exposure, market intelligence, and a chance to captialise on the business opportunities tha arise with the introduction of new standards and associated technical capabilities.
Anybody wishing to learn more about this initiative, or about the OGC Interoperability Program in general, can contact Scott Serich, Director, Interoperability Programs (techdesk [at] opengeospatial.org) or visit http://www.opengeospatial.org/ogc/programs/ip.
Last updated 2017-09-14 at 06:13 US EDT