Mixed Reality to the Edge CDS
As part of OGC’s Mixed Reality to the Edge’ Concept Development Study (CDS), the workshop will feature Keynote speakers and three panels in which visionary experts from Defense, Utilities, First Responders, and more will provide short position statements and lead discussion on three main topics:
- ‘To the Edge’ - the requirements of providing 3d geospatial content and services to first responders, field deployed utility workers, warfighters, and more to ‘the edge’ where connectivity may be limited or non-existent.
- Future of the Industry - what 3D/4D data and services will be able to make it out to ‘the edge’ and how will it benefit industry? This include the impacts of augmented reality, real-time sensor fusion and analytics, gaming, and fog computing.
- What’s the Pipeline - how is all this geospatial content generated, curated, and delivered now, and how will it be generated, curated, and delivered in the future?
For the latest information on the workshop, visit the . Registration for the workshop is free but mandatory, as places are limited to a maximum number of participants, so today.
ALSO ANNOUNCING: The Request for Information (RFI) on the Mixed Reality to the Edge Concept Development Study been issued. The RFI is being organized by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC), supported by the SOFWERX. The RFI due date has been extended to March 14, 2019. Please let us know if you have any questions at techdesk [at] opengeospatial.org
The goal of this Concept Development Study (CDS) is to demonstrate to stakeholders the diversity, richness and value of new and emerging technologies for 3d processing, curation, and analytics in support of users in potentially disconnected computing environments. Specifically, consider from an interoperability perspective what data sources, technologies, analytics and associated IT services are required for addressing the needs for the convergence of geospatial 3d modelling, simulation, and gaming integrated with machine learning for automated 3d workflows for such activities as enhanced decision support, mission rehearsal, and/or situational understanding. This includes the role of AI along with AR and VR for enhanced visualization and decision support.
Specific tasks will include but not be limited to the following objectives:
- Engage experts from around the globe to increase awareness of community mixed reality to the edge needs, and to identify, promote and evolve a target interoperable 3D/4D open architecture
- Provide focus and direction for key issues, gaps, and limitations that impact the current limitation of existing metadata approaches to quickly discover and understand which information sources are most useful in the context of a user’s need
- Refine and validate foundational 3D/4D architecture constructs for Open Data Models and Open Application Programming Interfaces (APIs)
- Explore the lack of an integrated policy and operational framework to facilitate rapid acceptance, qualification, ingest and use of relevant geospatial information from a range of government, commercial providers and citizens
- Address the need for persistent platforms to organize and manage modelling and simulation related geospatial information and tools necessary for collaborating organizations to address the full 3d content lifecycle
- Examine the inability to properly fuse and synthesize multiple data sources locally to derive knowledge necessary for rapid simulation decision support
Calendar of Events
The RFI due date has been extended to March 14, 2019. Again, if you have any questions, please send us a message at techdesk [at] opengeospatial.org
Please feel free to contact us at techdesk [at] opengeospatial.org if you would like additional details of the Workshop, now set for April 30, 2019