Indoor Mapping and Navigation Pilot
The deadline for responses to the Call for Participation (CFP) for the OGC Indoor Mapping and Navigation Pilot has passed. However, offers of in-kind contributions will still be considered. The Kickoff Event is scheduled for October 16-17 at NIST in Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
Figure 1. Indoor LiDAR Scene (source: YouTube)
This pilot, sponsored by the Public Safety Communications Research Division of NIST, will create and advance solutions to complex geospatial challenges related to indoor mapping and navigation for first responders. The pilot will call upon a diverse array of leading organizations in the field and leverage standardized, open GIS frameworks, data models, and data exchange formats (e.g. CityGML, IndoorGML, Web Processing Service, Web Feature Service, etc.) to stimulate the rapid generation of prototypes and demonstrations that address the key activities described below. In addition, best practices and lessons learned from the pilot shall be captured in engineering reports or other means and, where appropriate, forwarded to the appropriate standards committees under the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and International Standards Organization (ISO) for consideration.
The Indoor Mapping and Navigation Pilot will address key challenges related to indoor mapping and navigation for first responders. While the focus of the Pilot is on developing the capabilities and workflow required for preplanning operations, the intent is that future OGC initiatives will address the real-time, event-driven aspects of indoor mapping and navigation for first responders.
Summary of Procedures to Submit a Proposal in Response to the CFP
Here are some shortcuts to help interested bidders respond to the CFP.
- The proposal submission deadline is 25 July, 2018.
- The process for completing a Proposal is essentially embodied in an online Proposal Submission website. This includes a series of web forms, one for each deliverable of interest.
- Please also find a more detailed narrative description of this process.
- The Technical Deliverables open for bidding include:
- Building Data.
- Public Safety Features CityGML ADE ER.
- Building Modeler Service I (2 instances).
- Navigation Modeler Service I (2 instances).
- Building Model Repositories (3 variations).
- Indoor Navigation Service I (2 instances).
- Preplanning Tool Client I (2 instances).
- Presentation at PSBSM Meetings (mandatory for all Participants).
- Indoor Mapping and Navigation ER (general-purpose).
- Demonstration Video Assets (mandatory for all component providers).
- Deliverable Summary: https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=79833#TechDeliverablesTable.
- Deliverable Details: https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=79833#TechnicalDeliverables.
- For each proposed deliverable, the user will see a form like the following:
Tentative High-Level Pilot Schedule
Anybody wishing to learn more about this initiative, or about the OGC Interoperability Program in general, can contact Scott Serich, Director Innovation Programs at sserich (at) opengeospatial.org or visit the OGC Innnovation Program page.