Web Processing Service 2.0 SWG
Purpose of this Standards Working Group
The purpose of this Standards Working Group (SWG) is to evaluate and work the proposed change requests assigned to the Web Processing Service 1.0.0. It will achieve this objective by evaluating and processing the Change Requests listed in Section 3 and ensuring that the standard is consistent with the OGC Processes, OGC standards baseline and the OGC business plan.
Scope of Work
This SWG is focused on processing change requests to be included in Web Processing Service 2.0. The Scope of Work (SOW) will be to collect all outstanding Change Requests, evaluate each of these proposals, and make edits to the standard based on Change Requests and related decisions of the SWG membership.
The work of the SWG will be to consider at least the following Change Requests:
- CR087 - Include a Cancel request
- CR088 - Extend version number negotiation
- CR089 - Make all elementFormDefault = qualified
- CR090 - Format should include a human readable description
- CR091 - Correct references to Format
- CR092 - Implement Corrigendum #1 (08-091)
- CR093 - Avoiding timeouts
- CR095 - Application profiles
- CR096 - Better support for asynchronous services via SOAPN
- CR097 - Use of ";" in HTTP GET
- CR098 - Add ability to determine processing capacity
- CR099 - Add ability to reserve a server
- CR100 - Simplify HTTP Get Execute encoding
- CR101 - Align with OWS Common 1.2
- CR102 - RESTful WPS
- CR08-037 - Merge SPS and WPS (08-037)
- CR09-093 - WPS Change Request - Controlling Asynchronous Process
- CR09-094 - WPS Change Request - "GetStatus" Method
- CR09-100 - Divide into Core and Extension
- CR09-101 - Support for SensorML
- CR09-103 - Format should include a human readable description
- CR09-107 - Simplify KVP Encoding
- CR09-109 - methods for controlling, and checking the status of asynchronous process
- CR09-120 - Extension of the InputReference data structure
Additional Change Requests may be addressed at the discretion of the SWG based on criticality of the change and available time and resources. The closing date for accepting Change Requests is December 6th 2009.
What is out of scope?
Only those change requests addressing the WPS Specification [OGC 05-007r7] and WPS 1.0.0 Corrigendum 1 [OGC 08-091r6] submitted through the formal process as identified in the OGC TC Policy and Procedures will be addressed. Therefore, any items suggested through emails, vocal discussions, etc will be outside of the scope of this SWG until formally submitted.
Specific Contribution of Existing Work as a Starting Point
The starting point for the work will be version 1.0.0 of the Web Processing Service standard (OGC 05-007r7) and WPS 1.0.0 Corrigendum 1 [OGC 08-091r6].
How it is to be Determined when the Work of the SWG has been Completed?
The following criteria will be used to determine the completion of the SWG:
All Change Requests submitted prior to December 06, 2009 have been reviewed and evaluated to the satisfaction of the SWG. This may include working the proposal, rejecting the proposal, or postponing the proposal to a later version.
A completed revision of Web Processing Service 2.0 Standards Documents have been produced and reviewed by the SWG and has been approved for submission to the TC for approval as an adopted standard.
Description of deliverables
The following deliverables will result from the work of this SWG:
A final version of the Web Processing Service 2.0 Standards Documents for submission to the TC.
Corresponding schemas associated with version 2.0 of the Web Processing Service Standards document(s).
The following schedule of activities is anticipated:
Begin the organization and assignment of work activities during the Web Processing Service 2.0 SWG kickoff meeting to be held during TC meetings June 2009.
Review of version 2.0 of the Web Processing Standards document(s) during the TC meetings in September 2013 and in December 2013.
Post completed version of the Web Processing Service 2.0 Standards document(s) at least three weeks prior to the TC meetings in March 2014.
Standards document(s) submitted to the TC during the TC meetings in March 2014.
The above schedule is meant to serve as a guideline to the SWG in order to determine completion milestones. However, based on the remaining Change Requests, the completion date may adjust in order to accommodate a critical update to the document(s). Although all change requests will be addressed, some may be postponed due to the need to more quickly produce document(s) containing higher priority requests.
IPR Policy for this SWG
The target audience of Web Processing Service version 2.0 is any implementers and / or users of OGC Web Processing Services.
Other informative information about the work of this SWG
a. Similar or applicable standards work (OGC and elsewhere).
The following standards and projects may be relevant to the SWG's planned work, although none currently provide the functionality or simplicity anticipated by this committee's deliverables:
Work of the Open Grid Forum (OGF)
The SWG intends to seek and if possible maintain liaison with each of the organizations maintaining the above works.
b. Details of the first meeting
The first meeting of this SWG will be during the June 2009 TC Meetings in Boston.
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of this SWG will be carried out primarily by email and conference calls, with face-to-face meetings at each of the OGC TC meetings as defined by the chairs. The teleconference calls are currently scheduled bi-weekly on Mondays at 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern time.
d. Supporters of the Proposal
The following people support this proposal and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule:
- Peter Baumann (Jacobs University Bremen GmbH)
- Pat Cappalaere (Vightel Corporation)
- Laura Diaz (Universitat Jaume I)
- Steven Keens (PCI Geomatics Inc.)
- Christian Kiehle (lat/lon GmbH)
- Alexandre Robin (Spot Image)
- Bastian Schäffer (University of Muenster - Institute for Geoinformatics)
- Peter Schut (GeoConnections - Natural Resources Canada)
- Stan Tillman (Intergraph Corporation)
Stan Tillman, Intergraph Corporation
Acknowledgements. Thanks to OASIS for providing a template as the basis for defining the OGC SWG charter template.