SWE Common SWG
The purpose of this Standards Working Group is to extract the SWE Common Data Model Version 1.0 Standard from SensorML and to develop Version 2.0. Additionally, the working group will address issues that are common to all SWE services (though individual service specification will be developed in separate SWGs) and produce the SWE Service Common Standard Version 1.0. It will achieve this objective by evaluating and processing the Change Requests listed in Section 3, ensuring that the standard is consistent with the OGC baseline and business plan.
This SWG is focused on processing change requests to be included in the SWE Common Data Model version 2.0 and SWE Service Common 1.0. The Scope of Work (SOW) will be to collect all outstanding and planned Change Requests, evaluate each of these proposals, and edit the standard based on these Change Requests and related decisions of the SWG membership. This SWG will consider at least the following Change Request Proposals and discussion items:
· OGC 08-027 – Create separate document for SWE Common
· OGC 08-024 – Improve Extensibility Mechanisms
· OGC 08-025 – Add Choice, Optional, Nil values and Raw XML encoding support
· OGC 08-026 – Improve Documentation of Encodings, Variable Size Arrays, etc.
· OGC 08-067 – Improve Streaming Data Support
· OGC 08-172 – Update Sensor from SOS
· OGC 08-195 – Add Time parameter to DescribeSensor
· All other CRs sent to the SOS and SPS SWGs that are judged to have a component that should be addressed in a general SWE context.
Additional Change Requests may be addressed at the discretion of the SWG based on criticality of the change and available time and resources.
3.1 What is out of scope?
Only those change requests submitted through the formal process as identified in the Policy and Procedures will be addressed. Therefore, any items suggested through emails, vocal discussions, etc will be outside of the scope of this SWG until formally submitted.
3.2 Specific Existing Work Used as Starting Point
The starting point for the work will be Version 1.0 of the SWE Common standard now included in the Sensor Model Language Specification (OGC 07-000). In addition work done during the OWS5 experiment as well as the work previously done by the SWE WG will be used, as documented on the:
1) Twiki pages rooted at https://portal.opengeospatial.org/twiki/bin/view/SWEComSWG/ChangeRequests
2) Updated schemas and change log in the OGC SVN repository at
3.3 How to Determine when Work of SWG has been Completed
The following criteria will be used to determine the completion of this SWG:
A completed revision of SWE Common Data Model Standard and new version of SWE Service Common Standard documents have been produced and reviewed by the SWG and have been approved for submission to the TC for approval as an adopted standard.
The following deliverables will result from the work of this SWG:
· A final version of the SWE Common Data Model V2.0 Standard documents for submission to the TC.
· Corresponding XML schemas associated with version 2.0 of the SWE Common Data Model Standard documents.
· A final version of the SWE Service Common V1.0 Standard documents for submission to the TC
· Corresponding XML schemas associated with version 1.0 of the SWE Service Common Standard documents.
The following schedule of activities is anticipated:
1) Begin the organization and assignment of SWG work activities during the SWE Common SWG ad-hoc session at the TC meeting in June, 2009.
2) Internal review of SWE Common Data Model 2.0 and SWE Service Common 1.0 initial release documents status during TC meeting in September, 2009. This review will include initial evaluation of which proposed changes are not likely to be ready in time for inclusion in the new version of the initial release documents.
3) Final version of the SWE Common Data Model 2.0 and SWE Service Common 1.0 documents completed at least three weeks prior to TC meeting in December 2009.
4) SWE Common Data Model 2.0 and SWE Service Common 1.0 Standards documents submitted to the TC during the TC meeting in December 2009 for approval as version 2.0.
The above schedule is meant to serve as a guideline to the SWG in order to determine completion milestones. However, based on the actual Change Requests, completion dates may be adjusted to accommodate critical updates to the documents. Although all change requests will be addressed, some may be postponed due to the need to more quickly produce a document containing higher priority requests.
The target audience of the SWE Common SWG is any implementers and / or users of OGC Sensor Web Enablement suite of services (SOS, SAS, SPS) and data models (O&M, SensorML).
a. Similar or applicable standards work
The following standards may be relevant to this SWG's planned work:
· XML Schema
· NetCDF, HDF
· Sensor Model Language
· Observation and Measurements
· Ontology Web Language
· Sensor Observation Service
· Sensor Planning Service
b. Details of first meeting
The first meeting of this SWG will be in a session at the Darmstadt TC in September, 2009 . The exact date, time and place will be communicated to the initial SWG members.
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of this SWG will be carried out primarily by email and conference calls, with face-to-face meetings at each of the OGC TC meetings as defined by the chair. The teleconference calls are currently planned every two weeks. The concrete dates will be announced by the SWG.
d. Supporters of this Charter
The following persons support this SWG and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule.
Alexandre Robin Spot Image S.A.
Johannes Echterhoff International Geospatial Services Institute (iGSI) GmbH
Mike Botts University of Alabama in Huntsville
Barry Reff US Department of Homeland Security
Luis Bermudez Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA)
Arne Broering 52° North Initiative for Geospatial Open Source Software GmbH
Christoph Stasch University of Muenster - Institute for Geoinformatics
Peter Taylor CSIRO
John Herring Oracle
Alexandre Robin (Spot Image S.A.)