OWS Common 1.2 SWG
Maso Pau, Joan (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (CREAF))
Chair: Jim Greenwood, Co-Chair: Rudiger Gartmann
Purpose of the Standards Working Group
The purpose of this Standards Working Group is to evaluate and work the proposed change requests assigned to the OGC Web Service Common Version 1.2. It will achieve this objective by evaluating and processing the Change Requests listed in Section 3 and ensuring that the standard is consistent with the OGC baseline and business plan.
Scope of Work
This SWG is focused on processing change requests to be included in OGC Web Services Common 1.2. The Scope of Work (SOW) will be to collect all outstanding Change Requests, evaluate each of these proposals, and make edits to the standard based on Change Requests and related decisions of the SWG membership.
The work of the SWG will be to consider at least the following Change Requests:
- Add Flexible Metadata (OGC 07-042)
- Add XML Elements and Types for Parameters (Section 3.1 of OGC 04-105)
- Add Conformance Classes (Not yet drafted, analogous to OGC 07-058r2 for WCS)
- Add General Reference System (OGC 07-059)
- Add SOAP Encoding (OGC 06-094)
- Add Time Zone Offset Request (Section 7.1 of OGC 06-022)
- Define a URN to Identify Service Type (OGC 06-150)
- Expand Multilingual Abilities (Not yet drafted, analogous to OGC 06-149r2 for WMS)
- Improve Abstract Test Suite (Annex A)
- Improve Schema Modularization (Section 2.1 of OGC 04-054r1)
- Include remoteSchema attribute in Metadata Element (Section 3.4 of OGC 04-105)
- Include Filter Capabilities (Section 2.2 of OGC 04-054r1)
- Nested KVP Parameter Encoding
- RESTful Additions and / or Changes
- Support Rights Management (OGC 06-177)
- WSDL Recommendations Annex (OWS-2 Architecture IPR OGC 04-060)
- Split OWS Common document into parts (Drafted)
Additional Change Requests may be addressed at the discretion of the SWG based on criticality of the change and available time and resources.
What is out of scope?
Only those change requests submitted through the formal process as identified in the OGC TC Policy and Procedures will be addressed. Therefore, any items suggested through emails, vocal discussions, etc will be outside of the scope of this SWG until formally submitted.
Specific Contribution of Existing Work as a Starting Point
The starting point for the work will be version 1.1 of the OGC Web Services Common standard (OGC 06-121r3). In addition, the work previously done by the OWS Common 1.2 RWG will be used, as documented on the Twiki pages rooted at https://portal.opengeospatial.org/twiki/bin/view/OWSCommon/ChangeRequestsForOWSCommon120.
How it is to be Determined when the Work of the SWG has been Completed
The following criteria will be used to determine the completion of the SWG:
- All Change Requests submitted prior to May, 31, 2008 have been reviewed and evaluated to the satisfaction of the SWG. This may include working the proposal, rejecting the proposal, or postponing the proposal to a later version.
- A completed revision of OGC Web Services Common V1.2 Standards Documents have been produced and reviewed by the SWG and has been approved for submission to the TC for approval as an adopted standard.
Description of deliverables
The following deliverables will result from the work of this SWG:
- A final version of the OGC Web Services Common V1.2 Standards Documents for submission to the TC. Based on Change Request #17 listed under Scope of Work earlier in this document, OGC Web Services Common V1.2 standard may be split into multiple documents.
- Corresponding schemas associated with version 1.2 of the OGC Web Services Common Standards document(s).
The following schedule of activities is anticipated:
- Begin the organization and assignment of work activities during the OWS Common 1.2 SWG kickoff teleconference to be held Thursday, 10 January 2008, from 11:00 to 12:00 Eastern time.
- Internal review of version 1.2 of the OGC Web Services Common Standards document(s) during TC meetings March, 2008. This review will include initial evaluation of which proposed changes are not likely to be ready in time for inclusion in version 1.2.
- Internal review of version 1.2 of the OGC Web Services Common Standards document(s) during TC meetings June, 2008. This review will include final evaluation of which proposed changes are not likely to be ready in time for inclusion in version 1.2.
- Final version of the OGC Web Services Common V1.2 Standards document(s) at least three weeks prior to TC meetings September, 2008.
- Standards document(s) submitted to the TC during the TC meetings September, 2008.
The above schedule is meant to serve as a guideline to the SWG in order to determine completion milestones. However, based on the remaining Change Requests, the completion date may adjust in order to accommodate a critical update to the document(s). Although all change requests will be addressed, some may be postponed due to the need to more quickly produce document(s) containing higher priority requests.
IPR Policy for this SWG
The target audience of OGC Web Services Common V1.2 is any implementers and / or users of OGC standards which reference the common functionality with the OGC Web Services Common V1.2 Standards Document(s). This includes the standards working groups of the OGC which develop and maintain those OGC standards.
Other informative information about the work of this SWG
a. Similar or applicable standards work:
b. Details of the first meeting
The first meeting of this SWG will be by teleconference on January 10, 2008, from 11:00 to 12:00 Eastern Standard time.
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of this SWG will be carried out primarily by email and conference calls, with face-to-face meetings at each of the OGC TC meetings as defined by the chair. The teleconference calls are currently planned every two or three weeks on Thursdays at 11:00 - 12:00 AM Eastern time.
d. Supporters of the Proposal
The following people support this SWG and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule.
University of the Bundeswehr - IT IS
Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster
- Arliss Whiteside (BAE Systems)
- Rüdiger Gartmann (con terra)