OLS 1.3 SWG
1. OLS v1.3 SWG
2. Purpose of the Standards Working Group
The purpose of this Standards Working Group is to extend the OLS 1.2 specification with navigation capabilities.
3. Scope of Work
The scope of work consists of the following:
- Incorporate the pending changes to the OLS 1.2 specification to add navigation capabilities as a new service.
- Harmonise the Route core service with the new navigation service.
- Make any necessary changes or additions to other areas of OLS required to meet the first two goals.
3.1 What is out of scope?
Any major changes to the OLS 1.2 specification not pertaining to navigation are out of scope.
3.2 Specific Contribution of Existing Work as a Starting Point
The following are to be used as a starting point for work in the SWG:
- OLS 1.2 specification.
- Results from OWS 2, 3, and 4 test beds.
- Pending changes to the OLS 1.2 specification accepted by the OLS 2.0 RWG.
3.3 How it is to be Determined when the Work of the SWG has been Completed
The work of the SWG will be completed when an OLS 1.3 specification is adopted by the OGC TC..
4. Description of deliverables
The following deliverables will result from the work of this SWG:
- A final version of the OLS v1.3 Specification Document, including "Abstract Test Suite" sections for submission to the TC.
The following schedule of activities is anticipated:
- Start date will be November 1, 2007.
- Review of comments completed by the three week rule for the April 2008 TC meeting in St. Louis, USA.
- Final version of the OLS v1.3 Specification Document for submission to the TC.
5. IPR Policy for this SWG
6. Anticipated Audience
Those involved in the design, development, implementation, or location based services as listed above in "Scope of the Work". This includes content providers, developers, and providers of location based services..
7. Other informative information about the work of this SWG
a. Similar or applicable standards work (OGC and elsewhere). For example:
The following standards and projects may be relevant to the SWG's planned work, although none currently provide the functionality anticipated by this committee's deliverables:
- ISO TC 204 WG 3
- ISO TC 211
- ISO/TS 19103:2005, Geographic Information - Conceptual Schema Language
- ISO 19105:2000, Geographic information - Conformance and testing
- ISO 19107:2003, Geographic Information - Spatial Schema
- ISO 19109:2005, Geographic Information - Rules for Application Schemas
- ISO 19111:2003, Geographic information - Spatial referencing by coordinates
- ISO 19115:2003, Geographic Information - Metadata
- ISO 19123:2005, Geographic Information - Coverages
- ISO/TS 19139:2007, Geographic Information - Metadata - XML schema implementation
- ISO/IEC 19775:2004, X3D Abstract Specification
- ISO/CD 17267, Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) - Navigation System Application Programming Interface (API)
- ISO 14825: 2004 Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) - Geographic Data Files (GDF) - Overall data specification.
- OpenGIS® Abstract Specification Topic 0, Overview, OGC document 04-084
- OpenGIS® Abstract Specification Topic 5, The OpenGIS Feature, OGC document 99-105r2
- OpenGIS® Abstract Specification Topic 8, Relations between Features, OGC document 99-108r2
- OpenGIS® Abstract Specification Topic 10, Feature Collections, OGC document 99-110
- OpenGIS® Geography Markup Language Implementation Specification, Version 3.1.1, OGC document 03-105r1
- OpenGIS® Open Location Services (OLS) Specification, Version 1.2, OGC document 07-074
- IETF RFC 2396, Uniform Resource Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax. (August 1998)
- W3C XLink, XML Linking Language (XLink) Version 1.0. W3C Recommendation (27 June 2001)
- W3C XMLName, Namespaces in XML. W3C Recommendation (14 January 1999)
- W3C XMLSchema-1, XML Schema Part 1: Structures. W3C Recommendation (2 May 2001)
- W3C XMLSchema-2, XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes. W3C Recommendation (2 May 2001)
- W3C Xpointer, XML Pointer Language (XPointer) Version 1.0. W3C Working Draft (16 August 2002)
- W3C XML Base, XML Base, W3C Recommendation (27 June 2001)
- W3C XML, Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0 (Second Edition), W3C Recommendation (6 October 2000)
The RWG intends to seek and if possible maintain liaison with each of the organizations maintaining the above works.
b. Details of the first meeting
The first meeting of the committee will be held by telephone conference call at 1 PM EDT on 7 November 2007. Call-in information will be provided to the SWG's e-mail list and on the portal calendar in advance of the meeting.
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of the committee will be carried out primarily by email and conference calls, nominally every two weeks, with face-to-face meetings at each of the OGC TC meeting where sufficient members are present to do useful work.
d. Supporters of the Proposal
The following people support this proposal and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule.
- Will Wilbrink, MapInfo
- John Herring, Oracle
- Cecil Goodwin and Gil Fuchs, Tele Atlas
- Marwa Mabrouk, ESRI
- Geoff Hendrey and Bert Jakubs, deCarta
- Steve Smyth, MAGIC Services Forum
- Olaf Lem, LogicaCMG
- Johnny Tolliver, ORNL
e. Convener - Steve Smyth
Acknowledgements. Thanks to OASIS for providing a template as the basis for defining the OGC SWG template.