OGC Naming Authority Subcommittee
RFC 5165 (the OGC NID) delegated responsibility for reviewing and registering any proposed OGC urn usage to the OGC Naming Authority (OGC-NA). OGC-NA was formally established as a sub-committee of the OGC Technical Committee at the Potsdam TC in June 2008. In June 2010 OGC revised the naming policy to use http URIs to identify persistent OGC resources instead of URNs.
The OGC-NA has a formal role to review proposed persistent URIs in the process of publication of OGC Standards and other documents. A guideline for editors submitting URIs for review by OGC-NA is available here. The OGC-NA has developed a series of more detailed policies
- management of the OGC URI space http://www.opengis.net/doc/ogc-na-policies
- identifiers for resources of particular scopes, including
- documents http://www.opengis.net/doc/doc-names
- definitions http://www.opengis.net/doc/def-names-1
- specification-elements http://www.opengis.net/doc/spec-names
- ontologies http://www.opengis.net/doc/ont-names
- OGC-NA registers http://www.opengis.net/def/register/
These are available from http://www.opengeospatial.org/ogc/policies/directives.
All OGC members are invited to attend meetings of the OGC-NA held in conjunction with OGC TC meetings, and occasionally by teleconference. Anyone with an interest in the business of the OGC-NA is urged to join the mailing list, using one of the following methods:
- using the mailman interface
- under the Member tab in the Subscribe to additional lists dialogue under the Email subscriptions tab of your user profile on the OGC portal.
If you want to formally join the OGC-NA as an Observer or Voting Member, please contact the OGC-NA chair by email.
OGC-NA Chair: Simon Cox
Current list of OGCNA members: http://portal.opengeospatial.org/?m=projects&a=view&project_id=276&tab=1