KML 2.2 SWG
1. Purpose of the Standards Working Group
The purpose of this Standards Working Group is to progress the KML 2.2 RFC submission to the state of an adopted standard. This will be achieved by processing the comments received during the public comment period, and ensuring that the standard is consistent with the OGC baseline and business plan and is backwards compatible with existing KML documents and implementations already in widespread use within the mass market.
2. Scope of Work
This SWG is focused on processing the KML 2.2 RFC submission. The SOW thus includes the collection of comments, review of comments received, and additional edits to the candidate standard based on the comments. The final deliverable of KML SWG will be a version of the candidate standard for consideration by the membership.
2.1 What is out of scope?
This SWG will focus only on processing comments received during the 30 day public comment period. Change Requests are therefore out of scope.
2.2 Specific Contribution of Existing Work as a Starting Point
The starting point for the work will be the KML 2.2. RFC submission, which is based on the approved OGC KML 2.2 Best Practices Document and includes an accompanying ATS document. These will be sent out for public comment following any edits required to meet RFC requirements.
2.3 How it is to be Determined when the Work of the SWG has been Completed
The work of the SWG will be complete when:
- All comments submitted during the 30 day public comment period have been dealt with to the satisfaction of the SWG.
- The SWG approves the KML 2.2 Candidate Standard and ATS documents, consistent with 1, for submission to the TC for approval as an adopted standard.
- The candidate standard has been approved by the OGC Technical and Planning Committees as an Adopted OGC standard.
- Description of deliverables
The following deliverables will result from the work of this SWG:
- An annotated list of all comments submitted during the 30 day public comment period, including the comment, submitter, rationale, comment type/priority, and the response of the SWG.
- A final version of the KML 2.2 Standard and ATS documents for submission to the TC.
In recognition of the rapid product development cycles inherent in the mass market community, the SWG should conclude its activities no later than Q1 08. As such the following schedule of activities is planned:
- SWG startup. 2007.11.08.
- OAB RFC review; SWG prepares candidate standard for vote for public release. 2007.11.08 - 2007.11.22
- SWG votes to release KML 2.2 for public comment. 2007.11.23 - 2007.11.30
- OGC staff develops PR and announces availability for public comment. 2007.12.03 - 2007.12.07
- 30-day public comment period. 2007.12.10 - 2008.01.06
- SWG collects and collates comments into a single document. 2008.01.07 - 2008.01.11
- SWG discusses and votes on comments and makes resulting edits towards final KML 2.2 candidate standard. 2008.01.14 - 2008.02.07
- SWG votes to approve release of KML 2.2 candidate standard for approval as an OGC adopted standard. 2008.02.08 - 2008.02.15
- 60 day IPR review period and associated TC e-vote to approve KML 2.2 candidate standard as .an OGC adopted standard. 2008.02.18 - 2008.04.11
4. IPR Policy for this SWG
■ RAND-Royalty Free.
5. Anticipated Audience
The target audience of KML v2.2 includes search engine developers, GIS vendors, mass market software vendors interested in geographic based applications, and the consumer.
6. Other informative information about the work of this SWG
a. Similar or applicable standards work:
The following standards and projects may be relevant to the SWG's planned work, although none currently provide the functionality anticipated by this committee's deliverables:
OGC Geography Markup Language v3.2 (also ISO 19136)
The SWG intends to seek and if possible maintain liaison with each of the organizations maintaining the above works.
b. Details of the first meeting
The first meeting of the committee will be held by telephone conference call at 9AM PDT on 08 November 2007. Call-in information will be provided to the SWG's e-mail list and on the portal calendar in advance of the meeting.
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of the committee will be carried out primarily by email and conference calls, every week, with face-to-face meetings at each of the OGC TC meetings. Other face to face meetings may be called if this can expedite the work of the SWG.
d. Supporters of the Proposal
The following people support this proposal and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule.
- Ron Lake (Galdos Systems Inc.)
- Tim Wilson (Galdos Systems Inc.) Elected Chair 11/8/07
- David Burggraf (Galdos Systems Inc.)
- Ed Parsons (Google)
- Bent Hagemark (Google) Elected Co-Chair 11/8/07
- Michael Weiss-Malik (Google)
- Lucio Colaiacomo (European Union Satellite Center)
- John Herring (Oracle)
Ron Lake (Galdos Systems Inc.)