I15 (Cataloging of ISO19115 Metadata) Extension Package of ebRIM Profile of CS-W 1.0 SWG
1. Project Description:
I15 (ISO19115 Metadata) Extension Package of CS-W ebRIM Profile 1.0 SWG
2. Purpose of this Standards Working Group
The purpose of this Standards Working Group is to update the "CIM (Cataloguing of ISO Metadata) Extension Package of ebRIM " (OGC Document 07-038), now renamed to "I15 (ISO19115 Metadata) Extension Package of CS-W ebRIM Profile 1.0", to the state of an adopted OGC standard. The SWG will achieve this objective by processing comments raised in the ESA SMAAD (Semantic-Web for Mediated Access Across Domains) project, in OWS9, in the ESA HMA (Heterogeneous Missions Access) AWG (Architecture Working Group) and by SWG members. The specification has been initially written in the frame of the ESA HMA project. The goal was to develop a specification of a catalogue service implementing the ebRIM Application Profile of CS-W for the discovery and management of ISO 19115 and ISO 19119 (in the future part of ISO19115) metadata encoded in ISO 19139 (the corresponding xml schema will in the future be part of ISO19115) and at a minimum equivalent in terms of capabilities to an OGC CSW ISO 19115/19119 Application Profile-compliant service. HMA is part of a European project called GMES (Global Monitoring for Environment and Security). The specification under development is actually at the state of an OGC Discussion Paper document
3. Scope of Work
There are actually some implementations of this document already in semi production environment. Now, it is time to propose this document to the OGC community to promote it to an OGC standard.
For that, the SWG will organize the comments raised in ESA SMAAD, in OWS9 and in the ESA HMA AWG, evaluate them and process them by editing the document. The SWG will also work with the Catalog SWG and Catalog AP ebRIM SWG and propose Change Requests if some arise.
a. What is out of scope?
Only those comments coming from the ESA SMAAD project, from OWS9 and from the ESA HMA AWG as well as further change requests submitted through the formal process as identified in the Policy and Procedures will be addressed. Any items suggested through emails, vocal discussions, etc will be outside of the scope of this SWG until formally submitted.
The specification of the RIM-objects will be exclusively based on the ISO specifications 19115(-2), 19119 and 19139 which are ISO-standard at the time when the I15 (CIM) SWG resumes it´s work (Jan/2013).
b. Specific Contribution of Existing Work as a Starting Point
ISO 19115 (part 1 & 2), ISO 19119 and ISO19139, Inspire directives, existing CSW ISO Application Profile specification, INSPIRE Conformance Class of current CIM
c. How it is to be Determined when the Work of the SWG has been Completed?
The I15 (ISO19115 Metadata) Extension Package of CS-W ebRIM Profile 1.0 SWG will dissolve after the following three milestones have been achieved:
1. The SWG has completed evaluation and incorporation into the candidate standard of all comments received during the public comment period.
2. Approval by the SWG membership of a recommendation to submit the document to the TC for consideration as an OGC Adopted Standard.
3. The candidate standard has been approved by the OGC Technical and Planning Committees as an Adopted OGC standard.
4. Description of deliverables
The following deliverables will result from the work of this SWG:
1. A final version of the Cataloging ISO19115 Metadata (I15) using the ebRIM profile of CS-W 1.0 Standard documents for submission to the TC.
2. Corresponding XML schemas associated with Cataloging ISO19115 Metadata (I15) using the ebRIM profile of CS-W 1.0 Standards documents.
The following schedule of activities is anticipated:
- Resumption of the I15 (CIM) SWG work activities was achieved within a few ad hoc meetings in the context of the Redlands TC meeting (1/2013) and by subsequent emails.
- Post I15 (ISO19115 Metadata) Extension Package of CS-W ebRIM Profile 1.0 document and schema for a 30-day comment period beginning of September 2013
- Resolve comments prior to December 2013
- Post candidate standard with schema for vote beginning 2014
The above schedule is meant to serve as a guideline to the SWG in order to determine completion milestones. However, based on the number and complexity of the actual Change Requests, completion dates may be adjusted to accommodate critical updates to the documents. Although all change requests will be addressed, some may be postponed due to the need to more quickly produce a document containing higher priority requests.
5. IPR Policy for this SWG
6. Anticipated Participants
The target audiences of the I15 (ISO19115 Metadata) Extension Package of CS-W ebRIM Profile 1.0 include:
• Users/implementers of ISO catalogs
• National mapping agencies
• Services/Data managers
7. Other informative information about the work of this SWG
d. Similar or applicable standards work (OGC and elsewhere)
The proposed standard is tightly linked to OASIS ebRIM, CSW AP ebRIM, CSW, CSW AP ISO, ISO 19115(-2)/19119/19139
e. Will this be a persistent SWG?
f. Details of the first meeting
Resume of the SWG was achieved within a few ad hoc meetings in the context of the Redlands TC meeting (1/2013) and by subsequent emails.
g. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of the SWG will be carried out primarily by email and a few conference calls, possibly with a face-to-face meeting perhaps at each of the OGC TC meetings.
The teleconference calls will be scheduled as-needed and posted to the OGC portal. Call-in information will be provided to the SWG's e-mail list in advance of the meeting.
h. Supporters of the Proposal
The following people support this proposal and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule. These members are known as SWG Founding or Charter members. Once the SWG is officially activated, this group is immediately “opted-into” the SWG and have voting rights from the first day the SWG is officially formed. Extend the table as necessary.
- Lorenzo Bigagli (CNR, I, Lorenzo Bigagli (lorenzo [dot] bigagli [at] cnr [dot] it))
- Roger Brackin (envitia, UK, Roger Brackin (roger [dot] brackin [at] envitia [dot] com))
- David Burggraf (Galdos, CN, David Burggraf (dburggraf [at] galdosinc [dot] com))
- Yves Coene (SPB, B, Yves Coene)
- Pier Giorgio Marchetti (ESA, EU, Pier [dot] Giorgio [dot] Marchetti [at] esa [dot] int)
- Frederic Houbie (Geomatys, F, Frédéric Houbie)
- Michael Schick (EUMETSAT, EU, Michael Schick)
- Stefen Smolder (GIM, B, Steven Smolders)
- Uwe Voges (con terra, D, Uwe Voges)
Uwe Voges (con terra, D, Uwe Voges)