Colaiacomo, Lucio (European Union Satellite Centre)
1. Purpose of the Standards Working Group
The purpose of GMLJP2 Standards Working Group is to move the existing GMLJP2 version 1.0.0 standard through a revision process. The SWG will process impacts to this standard from updates of dependent standards, address omissions from the initial standard, process comments from OWS5, and assess future work items for the initial standard. The work of this SWG will also ensure alignment with all OGC processes, the OGC standards baseline, and OGC's business plan.
2. Scope of Work
The SWG will focus on revisions to the existing adopted standard by collecting all outstanding Change Request Proposals, evaluate each of the proposals, and make edits to the standard based on CRPs and related decisions of the SWG membership. The final deliverable of this SWG is an updated version of the candidate standard for consideration by the membership.
Specific items that are currently identified as being in scope may include (subject to approval by SWG membership):
- Updates to the standard based on updates to normative references within the standard
- Update from GML 3.1/3.1.1 (OGC 03-105r1/OGC 04-092r4) to GML 3.2.1 (ISO 19136)
- Update from ISO 19105:2000, Geographic information - Conformance and Testing to ISO19105:2005
- Update from OWS Common 1.0 (OGC 05-008r1) to OWS Common 1.1.0 (OGC 06-121r3)
- Update from URNs of Definitions in OGC Namespace (OGC 05-010) to Definition identifier URNs in OGC namespace 1.1.0 (OGC 06-023r1)
- Update from Recommended XML/GML 3.1.1 Encoding of Common CRS Definitions (05-011)
- Agreed upon omissions from the original standard
- standard encoding of null data values in an image
- Requirements specified as future work items in the original standard
- use of unrectified grid coverages
- external references into a GMLJP2/JPX file using a standardized URI Fragment Identifier Syntax
- Accommodate specific needs of netCDF (network Common Data Form) for scientific data harmonization of observation syntax
- temporal relationships between coverages
- harmonization of observation work
2.1 What is out of scope?
For this activity, out of scope items are defined as:
- those items beyond the aforementioned scope of work that are not identified as Change Request Proposals and approved for inclusion by the membership before the end of calendar year 2007
2.2 Specific Contribution of Existing Work as a Starting Point
The starting point for this work will be:
- GML in JPEG 2000 for Geographic Imagery (GMLJP2) Encoding Specification (OGC 05-047r3)
- Geography Markup Language 3.2.1 (ISO 19136:2007)
- Geographic information - Conformance and Testing to ISO19105:2005
- OWS Common 1.1.0 (OGC 06-121r3)
- Definition identifier URNs in OGC namespace 1.1.0 (OGC 06-023r1)
- Change Request for Null Data Values against GMLJP2
2.3 How it is to be Determined when the Work of the SWG has been Completed
The following rules define the completion criteria of the SWG:
- The impacts from updates to all normative references have been reviewed, decided upon, and integrated into the standard to the satisfaction of the SWG
- The evaluation of all future work items from version 1.0 have been completed, rolled into change requests, or either postponed or dropped from the scope to the satisfaction of the SWG.
- All Change Request Proposals submitted prior to Dec, 31, 2007 have been reviewed and decided upon to the satisfaction of the SWG.
- A completed revision of the GMLJP2 1.1 Specification Document has been produced by the SWG and has been approved for submission to the TC for approval as an adopted specification.
3. Description of deliverables
The deliverables for this SWG will be:
- a revision to the existing standard
- a revised set of schemas
The preliminary schedule of activities includes:
- December 2007 TC (Stresa in lago Maggiore, Italy) - Presentation of existing work and Change Request Cutoff publicized to accommodate OWS5
- March 2008 TC (St. Louis, USA) - Review/Presentation of Change Requests
- June 2008 TC (Bremen, Germany) - Draft Standard for IPR review
- September 2008 TC (College Station, Texas) - Approval of Standard Revision
4. IPR Policy for this SWG
This group is set up as RAND-Royalty Free.
5. Anticipated Audience
The anticipated audience of this standard is the community of hardware, software, and systems integration professionals that are involved in image acquisition, rectification, encoding, analysis, presentation, and preservation.
6. Other informative information about the work of this SWG
a. Similar or applicable standards work (OGC and elsewhere).
The following standards and projects may be relevant to the SWG's planned work, although none currently provide the functionality anticipated by this committee's deliverables:
- Geography Markup Language
- JPEG 2000
- Web Coverage Service
- Web Feature Service
- Sensor Observation Service
- Observations and Measurements
The SWG intends to seek and if possible maintain liaison with each of the organizations maintaining the above works.
b. Details of the first meeting
The first meeting of the committee will be held by telephone conference call at 12PM EDT on 8 October 2007. Call-in information will be provided to the SWG's e-mail list and on the portal calendar in advance of the meeting.
c. Projected on-going meeting schedule
The work of the committee will be carried out primarily by email and conference calls, every two weeks, with face-to-face meetings perhaps at each of the OGC TC meetings.
d. Supporters of the Proposal
The following people support this proposal and are committed to the Charter and projected meeting schedule.
- David Burggraf (Galdos Systems)
- Michael Gerlek (Lizardtech)
- Trent Hare (US Geological Survey)
- Steven Keens (PCI Geomatics)
- Martin Kyle (Sierra Systems)
- Lucian Plesea (Jet Propulsion Labs)
- Clemens Portele (Interactive Instruments)
- Alesandro Triglia (OSS Nokalva, Inc.)
- David Wesloh (National Geospatial Intelligence Agency)
Martin Kyle (Sierra Systems) was the convener of the SWG process, believing that it is time for a revision to the adopted standard.