Groups & Committees
Operationally, the OGC standards development and maintenance process is managed by three main Committees: The Technical, the Planning and the Strategic Management Advisory Committees.
The Technical Committee is responsible for all aspects of the formal consensus OGC standards process. This includes:
- Coordinate development of and modifications to the OpenGIS Abstract Specification;
- Coordinate development and adoption of OpenGIS Implementation standards;
- Act on change proposals (acceptance, rejection, and conditional acceptance);
- Other responsibilities concerning evaluation, approval and recommendations of various documents and proposals.
Above all, the Technical Committee (TC) provides an open forum for professional discussion of issues and items related to the consensus development and/or evaluation and approval of standards that provide the ability to build and deploy interoperable geospatial solutions in the larger IT domain. The TC also has methodology in place to govern its composition, its meetings and meeting agendas, and voting procedures.
In order to carry out the business of the TC in a timely manner, four different types of subgroups of the TC may be formed:
These groups address the four major needs for activity within the TC:
- To deal with Architectural and life cycle management issues (OGC Architecture Board);
- To work on new standards that have been proposed through the OGC RFC process (Standards Working Group)
- To discuss specific technology or user domain requirements for interoperability (Domain Working Group)
- Single-purpose groups to work on revision of Adopted Specifications (Standards Working Group)
For more information regarding the roles, responsibilities and processes of the OGC Technical Committee, please download the Technical Committee Policies and Procedures .
More information on the Planning Committee can be found here: http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/pc .
Strategic Member Advisory Committee
More information on the SMAC can be found here: http://www.opengeospatial.org/projects/groups/smac .