OGC China Forum
The China Forum of the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC®) was chartered in 2017 with the goal of addressing the OGC outreach and education needs of government, academic, research and industry organizations in China. The Forum also provides a coordination mechanism to prioritize Chinese interoperability requirements and communicate these requirements into the OGC standards process. Finally, the Forum will establish and maintain coordination with the Asia/Pacific region OGC members on issues relevant to the broader Asia/Pacific regional interest in the OGC international process.
The OGC China Forum is a grouping of the OGC members in China, set up to promote the use and understanding of open standards for geospatial software and data in China, and to influence the definition of these standards. The objectives of the China Forum are to increase the profile and awareness of geospatial interoperability standards in China, with national and local government as well as industry, academic, and research organizations, to provide a forum for the collaboration of developers and users of spatial data products and services, and to assist in the definition of a set of standards to meet the requirements of China. The Forum will assist organizations in understanding the tangible benefits of implementing geospatial interoperability standards, to identify the relevant standards, and to plan for success in realizing these benefits through use of compliant products.
The members are committed to the use of the open interoperable standards defined by the Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC). The China Forum will work with the global and Asia/Pacific regional structures of the OGC. The OGC China Forum will also strive to work with other relevant industry and government bodies to achieve its vision which is the realization of the full societal, economic and scientific benefits of integrating electronic location resources into commercial and institutional processes.
The OGC China Forum is chartered to address a range of topics including, but not limited to:
- Develop awareness, acceptance and implementation of geospatial interoperability best practices based on Chinese National policies
- Develop a set of documentation presenting the OGC standards in China, and adapted to Chinese issues, use cases and organizational features
- Identify requirements related to Chinese needs for introduction into OGC processes
- Manage an OGC Chinese Forum site to support dissemination, discussion and demonstration
- Coordinate the organization of interoperability sessions in annual conferences of Chinese GIS society on a regular basis
- Improve OGC membership in China, particularly with industry, academic and research organizations
- Support the OGC global outreach and OGC Asia/Pacific regional projects in furthering the OGC global mission
Initial membership of the OGC China Forum includes:
- Wuhan University
- Institute of Remote Sensing & Digital Earth, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Zhengzhou Institute of Surveying & Mapping
- Fuzhou University
- Nanjing Normal University
- Yunnan University
The OGC China Forum will be open to all OGC member organizations residing in China, or conducting business in China.