Director Innovation Program
The Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) is seeking a highly qualified individual for the position of Director Innovation Program. Candidates selected for this position will take on a unique opportunity to advance interoperability and innovation in geospatial information technology. This is an opportunity to work with the world’s leading researchers, companies, and governments in this dynamic area.
The OGC is a non-profit, international, voluntary consensus-based standards organization that is leading the development of standards for geospatial and location-based services. The OGC mission seeks to advance the development and use of international standards and supporting services that promote geospatial interoperability by providing a global forum to foster collaboration between solution providers and users.
The OGC Innovation program provides a hands-on collaborative and agile process for solving geospatial challenges. The Innovation Program initiatives include Testbeds, Pilots, Plugfest, Hackathons, Engineering Services, Interoperability Experiments and Concept Development Studies.
Candidates for this position must possess:
- Solid technical background in geomatics and software development
- Leadership skills, solid interpersonal and team coordination skills, and consensus process facilitation skills
- Project management experience, including cost and schedule management for IT projects
- Understanding of the OGC standards baseline
- Excellent communication skills to lead a process characterized by a diverse, geographically dispersed set of staff, members, and infrastructure resources
- Previous experience leading activities in the OGC Innovation Program is desired
OGC has an immediate need for a Director Innovation Program position in the USA with expertise in Smart Cities technologies and related standards in addition to the knowledge, skills, and experience noted above.
OGC may fill one or more additional North American or European based Innovation Program director positions in the coming months. This announcement will be leveraged to fill future positions.
The Director will work with sponsors and participants of OGC Innovation Program Initiatives, OGC members, OGC staff and consultants, OGC Alliance Partner representatives, and the broader user community to achieve the overall objectives of the Innovation Program and the broader OGC mission.
A Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university is required. A MS or PhD degree is preferred.
OGC offers a flexible work environment, emphasizing work-from-home arrangements. Employee location near a major airport hub in Europe or North America is preferred due to travel requirements.
The position will require local and international travel (20-30%), including travel to support OGC Innovation Program initiative meetings, as well as quarterly OGC Technical Committee meetings and other events held in locations around the globe.
Salary and Benefits:
OGC offers competitive salary and benefits.
Effective Date / How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, submit your expression of interest, resume, references, and salary requirements to jobs [at] opengeospatial.org.
Candidates interested in being considered for the immediate Director Innovation Program position must respond by 31 May 2018.
This announcement will remain open to accept applications for anticipated future positions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
A Director Innovation Program is a senior member of the OGC staff, whose roles include:
- Support OGC Innovation Program initiatives, including the role as Manager, Architect, or Support Staff.
- Managers are responsible for the initiative, including 1) making sure the goals are achieved under the budgeted cost and schedule, 2) reporting to sponsors and getting feedback, 3) supporting contracting and issuing Statements of Work.
- Architects serve as technical leads making sure the architecture, interfaces, encodings, and other technology is sound and within the scope of the work.
- Support business development:
- Interacting with government, commercial, academic, research, and not-for-profit prospects and customers to advance new OGC Innovation Program initiatives.
- Identifying, establishing, and maintaining an up-to-date business pipeline.
- Writing proposals and developing budgets.
- Support the Innovation Program in its continual improvement. Directors Innovation Program work with other OGC staff to:
- Improve the process of planning and running initiatives;
- Improve effectiveness of Innovation Program policies and procedures;
- Identify challenges and ideas to solve concrete problems and make geospatial systems more interoperable; and
- Shape and sustain the Innovation Program as a world-class agile prototyping process to solve increasingly complex challenges and advance open, interoperable technology.
- Support other OGC activities, including: new member recruitment; membership support; training; facilitation of working groups; representation of OGC at conferences and symposia; authoring articles for trade journals; authoring blogs; supporting OGC regional and national forums; and serving as liaison to OGC Alliance Partner and Liaison organizations.
As a Director Innovation Program, you will be a key member of the global OGC team that achieves the OGC vision of a world in which everyone benefits from the use of geospatial information and supporting technologies.